Mack Molding has invested over $1 million to significantly expand its laser-cutting capacity and add new processes to its sheet metal fabrication center at its headquarters plant in Arlington, Vt. “We’ve added several new services to our metal shop, including more laser-cutting capacity, laser welding, part washing and deburring,” says Metals Operations Manager Ryan Southwick.
“Mack is able and willing to make vertically integrated investments in our existing core competencies, which include prototyping, custom injection molding, sheet metal fabrication and manufacturing, especially when it pertains to the medical device marketplace,” says Jeff Somple, president of Mack Molding’s northern operations. “We’re doing this, basically, to tighten up the supply chain, and provide additional benefits to our customers, including improved quality, shorter lead times, and a lot more flexibility. Our ability to react to schedule changes is now totally within our control. My vision is that a sheet of metal comes in and a finished product goes out. And we’re getting close…really close.”
Mack’s sheet metal operation is making 19-inch rack enclosures, chassis for various medical devices, and a significant number of cases and trays for medical instrumentation and surgical equipment OEMs. “Adding the laser welding process and additional laser-cutting capacity will be particularly significant to the surgical case and tray market, which has been a major area of growth for Mack,” adds Somple.
Finn-Power laser tops list
Below are a few specifics on the new equipment and capabilities that Mack has recently added to its sheet metal fabrication center. “At the core is a Finn-Power laser with superior speed and accuracy that produces the highest in production part quality,” says Southwick, “and provides a huge amount of additional capacity for Mack.”
Finn-Power FPL-6 High-Speed 3500 Watt Laser
- 60″x120″ sheet size allows for a maximum part size of 58″x120″
- Cutting thickness up to 0.75″ in cold rolled steel
- High-speed capability reduces processing time by half
- Significantly improves quality of cut
- Improves part flatness and finish (no warp or nibble marks typical of punching).
Litron Laser Welder
- Trumpf resonator/Class 1 workstation
- High precision welding
- Good for cosmetic applications
- Allows high heat welding in a concentrated, repeatable, accurate fashion without warp.
In Line Washline
- Single stage parts washer
- Cleans parts from 1″x1″x1″ to 24″x13″x8″
- Heated dionized water leaves no film or staining.
Royson Vibratory Deburr Equipment
- Removes excess burrs and sharp edges
- Porcelain media wears edges for consistent appearance and safe operating finish.
Contact: Ryan Southwick, Metals Operations Manager